Saturday, January 13, 2007

Carlos Drummond de Andrade












A poet with soul and hard work. That what Carlos Drummond de Andrade is: a person from Minas Gerais, Brazil, born in 1902 in Itabira. ("that is why I am sad and proud: made by metal" - confessed im "Confidence of an Itabirano").


Says Carlos Drummond de Andrade:

I understand that poetry is a matter of great responsability and not considered honest a poet who only make verses because a jealousy, needs of money or being in an instant with the liric forces of the world, without a daily hard work with the technical secrets, lecture, contemplation, and also the action. Even the poets set themselves, and a disarmed poet is a human being who is at the mercy of easy inspirations, docile with the fashions and commitments.


CHILDHOOD

To Abgar Renault

My father mounted the horse, he goes to the countryside.
My mother remain sitted to knit.
My litle brother sleeps.
I myself lonely boy between mongorove
read Robinson Crusoé tale.
A long story with never ending.

On a mid bright day a voice wish learned
to sing us to sleep in the slaves village - and never forgot
call to the coffee.
Black coffee blacker than the old black lady
delicious coffee
good coffee.

My mother remain sitted to knit
looking at me:
- Psiu...Do not awake the boy.
To the cradle where a mosquito was settle.
And give a whisper...so deeply!

Far away my father camped
in the infinit farm weeds.

And I did not know that my story
was more beautifuk than the Robinson Crusoé tale.

From A FAMILÍA QUE ME DEI
Translated by IP

No comments: